Senior Tax Specialist - filing of all requisite tax returns for complex Estate and Trust accounts. - 69645
Position Title: Tax Specialist
Duration: 12 Months
Remote/Hybrid: Remote but on-site availability as well.
Office Location: 81 Bay 11th Floor
The Tax Specialist will be responsible for the effective and timely completion and filing of all requisite tax returns for complex Estate and Trust accounts. The Tax Specialist fulfills a variety of income tax compliance, planning and administrative functions.
• Obtain information (from clients, internal and external sources) required to prepare and file income tax returns. Performs calculations, completes required schedules and organizes the information for complex returns.
• Accurately prepares, personal, Estate and trust income tax returns and schedules. Identifies post-mortem and other tax planning opportunities. Acts as a technical tax resource to the ETA Team
• Review assessment notices and prepares adjustment requests, objection notices and Clearance Certificate requests for filing. Corresponds with the CRA to ensure any requests for information are provided.
• Maintain service standards for quality, responsiveness and timeliness.
• Liaise with The bank's Trust staff, outside tax professionals, and clients to ensure that: income tax filing requirements for more complex returns are met on a timely basis; taxation issues are explained and resolved; and, tax strategies are implemented effectively.
• Participate in Special Projects as assigned.
• Ability to manage and train junior staff
• Review complex tax returns such as GRE’s and terminal T1 returns, rights or things
• Ability to take ownership of assigned projects with limited supervision
Must Have Requirement:
- 3+ years of experience in an Accounting or tax related role.
- Familiar with graduated rate estates
- Post-secondary degree in accounting or equivalent
- Experience with preparation of T1
- Experience with preparation of T1 terminal (final)
- Experience with preparation of T3 trusts and estate returns
- Tax prep software experience
Nice to Have:
- CPA preferred or working towards
- Takes initiative *The manager wants to see someone who's prepared and has done their research for the interview.
- Strong attention to details
- Excellent computer skills and ability to work paperless
- Excellent tax research and analytical skills
- Ability to co-ordinate multiple activities simultaneously with time management components and influence the delivery of responses from various parties
- Well-developed communication skills sufficient to interact effectively with clients, professionals and small groups.
- Exceptional writing skills sufficient to prepare various communications containing detailed descriptions, explanations and specialized Estates & Trusts terminology
- Able to make decisions
- Collaborative mindset
- This is a technical role & someone who is pursuing their CPA will not receive hours due to the nature of the work.
- The manager is also looking for more senior candidates for other potential roles if you could share anything you may come across as well as preferred rate, that would be wonderful!