Senior Outside Plant (OSP) Fibre Planner to support three healthcare facilities projects - part-time, 2 yr contract - 20231117SS-POSPF-r - Nov 23 - 1
We are looking for a Senior Outside Plant (OSP) Fibre Planner to support three healthcare facilities projects for a part-time, 2 year initial contract.
PART TIME - 1920 hours over 2 years
approx 80 hours/ month
Must live locally in Metro Vancouver and able to report to site(s) when required. ie. to do field surveys
- 15+ years of experience in a fiber planning role in a Telecom service provider or Cable Operator environment with direct involvement in building large complex fiber networks. Depth, breadth and duration of experience combined with demonstrated performance and ability in a fiber planning role will be favored in the evaluation of candidates seeking this position.
- Experience as an OSP Fibre Planner determining the requirements and designing Fibre deployments
- Knowledge in developing, designing and administering databases along with the ability to research, design, build, and maintaining custom software solutions.
- Demonstrated experience with GIS/Spatial Platforms, AutoCAD
- Confined Space certification or be willing to get it
- Demonstrated experience with database management software (eg. SQL server, M365 Apps (eg. Sharepoint, Teams, etc).
- Strong written and verbal presentation skills to leaders at all levels within the organization.
Nice to Haves:
- Previous BC Health Authority experience
The OSP Fibre Planner will:
The services required for the role of Fiber Planner are:
1. Work with network planners to determine fiber requirements for new OSP fiber deployments.
2. Review the design for new underground pathways at client sites to ensure they support the requirements for primary and diverse paths for fiber circuits as specified by network planners.
3. Field survey new and existing plant structures and routes for estimation and design of projects.
4. Prepare cost estimates, bills of material, cable placing drawings and splicing schematics in accordance with the owner’s standards for OSP fiber deployments using CAD and other media.
5. Assist Delivery Project Managers in the physical implementation of the design to ensure work proceeds without complications and in accordance with the owner’s standards for OSP fiber deployments.
6. Ensure that systems (e.g. Norscan) that monitor the OSP cable plant and detect water ingress into splice cases are designed and implemented correctly and transitioned to the network operation team. This will entail coordination of training and routine testing of the monitoring systems in place at client sites along with documentation of the system and life cycle management
1. Conduct on-site audits and reviews of as-built documentation to ensure strict adherence to the owner’s standards and protocols with respect to fiber splicing, testing and labelling.
2. Incorporate field reports and as-built information into an Inventory and Asset Management system. Archive project drawings, fiber splicing and testing documentation, labour and material warranties, construction photographs, audit data and other critical documentation for future use.
3. Manage fiber and circuit allocation for standalone networks, services and emergency restoration on FHA OSP fiber infrastructure. This includes generating and issuing work orders to Contractors to splice additional fibers when required.
4. Manage the capacity of existing OSP fiber infrastructure and make recommendations to initiate new OSP deployments to augment capacity when necessary.
5. Assist in the development and operationalization of a service agreement with an OSP Contractor for the maintenance of existing underground pathways and the emergency restoration of FHA OSP fiber infrastructure including coordination with site operations and plant services.
6. Develop and operationalize an Inventory and Asset Management System for theOSP fiber infrastructure (or alternatively assist in evaluating, selecting, procuring and implementing an “off the shelf” application currently available on the market) that will meet specific requirements for inventory, asset and capacity management and the tracking of connectivity (active circuits).
7. Develop procedures and processes that will govern the on-going utilization, management and sustainment of the OSP fiber infrastructure.
8. Train and mentor other internal resources and or external partners on the fiber planner role and on the management and sustainment of the OSP fiber infrastructure.
9. Provides ad-hoc subject matter expertise and back up coverage to other related initiatives and other redevelopment projects as requested by the Executive Director, Capital Facility Projects, IMIT Solutions. Additional projects or tasks may be assigned to the consultant