S.i. Systems recognises that it has a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements. We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating methods, with regular review points. This includes working in partnership with our clients to meet their goals and objectives. S.i. Systems has incorporated its sustainability initiatives into all aspects of its practices hand-in-hand with our clients that share this commitment to sustainability.
Derek Bullen, Chief Executive Officer, is accountable for ensuring that the environmental policy is implemented and adhered to. Through implementation of this policy, S.i. Systems will promote environmental best practices for the IT staffing industry within all its departments and offices.
S.i. Systems’ guiding principles for environmental initiatives are as follows:
- S.i. Systems will comply with the spirit and letter of applicable environmental requirements in our Master Service Agreements (MSAs) and contracts, in addition to local, provincial/state and federal environmental laws and regulations.
- S.i. Systems will reduce or eliminate unnecessary waste in our operations.
- S.i. Systems will promote environmental best practices with our customers and suppliers.
- S.i. Systems will consider energy impacts when making business decisions; for example, when creating operational policies, or when acquiring physical infrastructure and technology.
- S.i. Systems will implement a continuous improvement approach as recommended by ISO 14001:2015.
To achieve the commitments above, S.i. Systems will:
Reduce our physical footprint and energy consumption
- Seek opportunities to combine office spaces and encourage the use of communal areas
- Encourage employees to work from home where appropriate for their role and daily tasks to reduce carbon emissions
- Provide employees with state-of-the-art communications technology to reduce the need for commuting to an office
- Work with building owners/managers to reduce the amount of energy used within office spaces; e.g., lights and electrical equipment switched off when not in use, heating adjusted with energy consumption in mind
- Evaluate future suppliers based on environmental/sustainability commitments and alignment to S.i. Systems’ goals and objectives
- As equipment reaches end-of-life, include energy efficiency in the evaluation of replacements
Promote paperless operations
- Use S.i. Systems’ eServices for contract management, timesheets, invoicing, and customer reporting to eliminate paper
- Provide employees with Virtual Private Network (VPN) access to company documents and intranet services to eliminate the need to print records
- Eliminate hardcopy production of marketing materials and proposal documents wherever possible
- Where paper must be used to meet client requirements or to ensure business continuity:
- use only paper containing fibre certified as originating from a sustainably-managed forest and/or containing at least 30% post-consumer recycled content
- print in double-sided/duplex format;
- use staples or clips instead of cerlox, duotangs or binders;
- print in black-and-white instead of colour/grayscale.
- Responsibly dispose of all waste (including eWaste), including recycling or repurposing wherever possible, with the help of our building managers and third-party suppliers such as Iron Mountain Canada
Monitor and improve our approach on an ongoing basis
- Monitor the performance of environmental initiatives
- Participate in local sustainability programs as appropriate to each location’s business environment
- Incorporate and acknowledge environmental impacts into business decisions
- Utilize ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System principles and best practices for interactions with external parties, risk-based planning and controls, leadership engagement, and continuous improvement